Friday 20 July 2007

Low Carb and Atkins

I just finished with the Atkins diet, which I like because you do get to eat and lose weight at the same time. The idea is simple - your body burns carbohydrates for energy, therefore no carbs means your body will burn fats next. The atkins idea, involves eating plenty of protein and some veg with none or low carbs.
I am on the Master Cleanse diet now, because I found the low carb wasnt working fast enough for me for the folowing reasons;
  1. I started at 72.6 kg / 160 lbs which isn't obese for a 5'5 tall person
  2. I suffer from bloating and possible* digestion problems
  3. So being not so fat made it tough to lose the weight although I went to the gym daily
  4. I also followed the diet to the book but the scales didn't shift until I started having 1 meal a day, which Atkins is against.
  5. At my lowest I went down to 68.2 kg / 150 lbs but I managed to gain 2.1 kg / 4.7 lbs during a birthday when I decided to eat anything and everything. I was upset because my scales wouldn't work (battery went flat) and I was getting ridiculous weight readings.
  6. It was slow going.

I guess Atkins is ok if you are very big, I'm talking over 180 -200 lbs, you lose the weight faster. I really like the atkins diet, well at least some of it. The downside, for me in particular is that some of the food is too oily. For instance you can make an egg with soft cheese and some other cheese - too cheesy and way too rich for my liking.

I like the idea that you can slowly introduce carbs after 2 weeks, during ongoing weight loss, then introduce more carbs later and so on. So clearly it's not like you are never going to eat rice again.

After my master cleanse diet, I will have cleansed my system so hopefully I will be able to move my bowels at least once a day rather than once a week. I am hoping to flush all the dirt away and feel great etc. Then I want to adopt the low carb diet again. This for me is not like dieting all my life, rather adopting healthier foods etc. I will add recipes and pictures of what I make and interesting things I will be eating and trying out. I don't think I eat bad food, I guess It's all good to add a variety of things into one's diet.

No comments: